6th Annual British Theatre Challenge 2017
Sky Blue choose not one, but ten plays to be produced over two nights in a London venue. One of the winning plays will also be chosen to be made into a short film. Check out the rules, entry details and submission form below.
Submissions for the 2018 BTC open from 30th October 2017 to the 30th March 2018
There is a video below with all the info you need to enter the British Theatre Challenge 2018!
Keep writing and good luck!
Photos & videos of 2016’s 10 plays have been processed by the brilliant Rah Petherbridge Photography and MiniMammoth Films and can be seen on the Sky Blue Theatre Facebook page and Youtube channel.
Submissions for the British Theatre Challenge 2018 are accepted from 1st November 2016.
The British Theatre Challenge – Supporting and producing work by emerging and established writers across the globe since 2011.
The 10 Winning Plays will be:
- Given a full performance at the Lost Theatre, London!
- Developed by professional directors!
- Performed by professional actors!
- Given written assessments by theatre professionals!
- Considered for publication by two or more publishers!
- Filmed in performance by Mini Mammoth Films!
- A public audience will vote for their favourite!
- Mini Mammoth film award, 1 play may be turned into a short film!
- Up to 25 plays will be shortlisted!
- Final submission date 30th March!
What will Happen
- Submissions accepted from 1st November each year
- Closing date 30th March
- A long list will be drawn up by 30th May
- A shortlist will be drawn up by 30th June
- Winners will be announced by 30th July
- Performances will take place over two evenings in October
- Winning playwrights will be presented with assessments in November
- Videos of winning plays will be released in December
- In the past few years, over 25 winning plays have been given offers of publication!
- Find further play submission opportunities here -www.playsubmissionshelper.com/blog/
British Theatre Challenge Winners 2017
Thank you to everybody that has entered this year’s playwriting competition – It’s been a pleasure reading all of your scripts over the past few months so please, keep up the awesome writing! Choosing ten plays has been an incredibly difficult task, well done to those writers who were chosen for the shortlist but we […]READ MORE
British Theatre Challenge 2017 Shortlist
Click here to find out…Click here to find out if your play has made it onto this year’s shortlist… The British Theatre Challenge 2017 will be held at The Lost Theatre.READ MORE
British Theatre Challenge 2017 Longlist
Congratulations if your play has been placed on our Longlist for this year’s challenge. Click here to find out…READ MORE
A winner of the BTC ’15
Joe Starzyk has two more plays performed at Claremorris Drama and Fringe Festival. Find out more here.READ MORE
Casting Breakdown – British Theatre Challenge 2016
See casting breakdowns for this year’s British Theatre Challenge here…READ MORE
British Theatre Challenge 2015 News
Break a leg Joe Starzyk with your upcoming performances of two more of your plays.READ MORE
The Masters – British Theatre Challenge 2016
Performance Details Here
Book your tickets now for the new writing event of the year.
British Theatre Challenge Winners 2016
We would like to thank everybody that has entered this year’s playwriting competition – It’s been a pleasure reading all of your scripts over the past few months so please, keep up the awesome writing! We are delighted to announce that the 10 winning plays have now been selected. The 10 winners of the British […]READ MORE
BRITISH THEATRE CHALLENGE SHORTLIST 2016
So here it is folks, The British Theatre Challenge Shortlist 2016READ MORE
British Theatre Challenge Longlist
Thank you one and all for entering this year’s British Theatre Challenge. Once again the writing has been of the highest standard meaning our readers have had a thoroughly enjoyable yet incredibly challenging job. Congratulations if your play has been listed below as you have been selected and placed on our Longlist for this year’s […]READ MORE
Sky Blue will be granting the wish of terminally ill playwright Anne Bartram by producing her first full length comedy at Camden People’s Theatre, London. That Catholic Thing is inspired by Anne’s own experiences of disability and views of religion. With the help of Mini Mammoth film makers we made a Kickstarter page where we’re […]READ MORE
Casting for That Catholic Thing
Hard hitting and very dark, this new comedy by Anne Bartram is seeking it’s cast… Religion is a hot topic with its global and very grave repercussions. Christian churches today are finding their numbers dwindling as more people question the origins and the stories of the faith they have been taught and are expected to […]READ MORE
That Catholic Thing
Sky Blue Theatre Company will be granting the wish of terminally ill playwright and company director Anne Bartram by producing her first full length comedy at Camden People’s Theatre, London.READ MORE
Eddie Coleman’s Winning Play Published
Lazy Bee Scripts have now published 2015 British Theatre Challenge winner Eddie Coleman’s ‘Idiot Spaz’, you can find theREAD MORE
Broadway World Article
A brief article in ‘Broadway World’ about ‘Suribachi’, winner of the Audience Appreciation Award in this year’s British Theatre Challenge – http://bit.ly/1PpcD1yREAD MORE
Brian Coyle a winner of BTC 2014 writes new play
A political satire that asks if politicians ever have to face up to the decisions they have made.READ MORE
New poster for BTC 2015
The ten winning plays of The British Theatre Challenge will be performed at The Lost Theatre 23rd & 24th October 2015READ MORE
Frank Canino’s New Play
British Theatre Challenge winner writes a new play.READ MORE
Shakespeare Rewired featured in QA
Shakespeare Rewired has recently been featured in QA Arts Magazine for Teachers.READ MORE
BRITISH THEATRE CHALLENGE WINNERS 2015
We are delighted to announce that the final 10 winning plays have now been selected.READ MORE
British Theatre Challenge Shortlist 2015
So here it is folks, The British Theatre Challenge Shortlist 2015
From this list of 25 plays, 10 winning plays will be selected by the end of July to be performed at the Lost Theatre, London on the 23rd and 24th October 2015.
British Theatre Challenge Shortlist
Will be announced later today (fingers crossed there are no problems with the new website)!READ MORE
Out with the Old, In with the New!
As we say goodbye to our old website we welcome in our new website. There are still a few kinks to iron out, please be patient…READ MORE
Past and Present Partners
British Theatre Challenge Rules
- The competition is open to all nationalities, but plays must be written in English and unpublished for the duration of the competition.
- Plays must be written for the stage for more than one actor with a running time of between 10 and 30 minutes.
- By entering the competition the writer affirms that their entry is original and they have sole rights to all matters contained within the play.
- The authors name and contact details must be removed from all pages of the script. All pages to be numbered.
- The first page of each script should include a completed play synopsis of no more than 50 words, a list of characters, a description of setting.
- Entries must be submitted with full payment of £16 per play. Entrants may submit any number of plays and each play must be accompanied by the appropriate entry fee.
- The organisers will not accept responsibility for the loss of scripts in transit.
- The judge's decision is final and no correspondence concerning the results will be entered into.
Play submissions that do not comply with all competition rules will be read in their entirety but may be discounted from the competition without notification to the writer or refund of entry fee.